October 7th, 2019
FACT: Trudeau’s Top Two Cabinet Ministers Have Used Tax Havens
Justin Trudeau chose two people who have personally benefitted from tax havens to serve as his top two financial officials.
Bill Morneau, Finance Minister
- The Paradise Papers show that Morneau Shepell has subsidiaries in known tax havens Barbados and Bahamas.
- Morneau incorporated the company in Bahamas in 2014, while he was Executive Chair and owned approximately $20 million in shares.
- The company incorporated in Barbados in 2016, while Morneau still owned shares and was serving as Finance Minister.
Joyce Murray, Treasury Board Chair
- Murray’s ethics disclosure shows an interest in Brinkman International Reforestation, a company she co-founded in 1970.
- The Paradise Papers show that Brinkman Forest Restoration was incorporated in Barbados in 2006.
How can Just Trudeau tell Canadians he can’t afford pharmacare while his top two cabinet members don’t even pay their share of taxes?